Dec 18, 2008

Connection...


Naive/nɑˈiv/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [nah-eev] –adjective
1. having or showing unaffected simplicity of nature or absence of artificiality; unsophisticated; ingenuous.
2. having or showing a lack of experience, judgment, or information; credulous: She's so naive she believes everything she reads. He has a very naive attitude toward politics.
3. having or marked by a simple, unaffectedly direct style reflecting little or no formal training or technique: valuable naive 19th-century American portrait paintings.
4. not having previously been the subject of a scientific experiment, as an animal.
Also, na⋅ïve.


The last 7 days have been very fun filled for me. I did a lot of stuff, met my friend, went out, had a lot of fun, had a lot of drinks too :P, spent time on the internet, cooked food and watched a lot of TV. I was in relax mode last afternoon, just surfing through TV channels when I happened to stop hitting the "next" button on the remote control. A movie which I had watched a long, long time ago... Forrest Gump, was playing at the matinee showtime.

This time was the second time I watched the movie, and I remembered the way I was weeping while watching Tom Hanks delivering the amazing award winning performance when I first watched this movie, and I had felt so low for that day, I cannot forget it. This time around, it was more insightful... And as I have already confessed in my blog, I am curious...

The protagonist is so naive! I mean, I am curious because I am wondering what the world would do today of such people, you know. It is amazing to see how Forrest lives his life in his own little world while he is also living a parallel life in "the" world, which just does not care about anything! People are just looking for their own advantage from Forrest throughout the movie, but he is just too naive to even feel bad about it. Right from his love interest Jenny to Lieutenant Dan to the millions of people looking for him while he is running across the US of A. People who do not know him personally refer to him as "Stupid" throughout the movie.

At many instances during the movie, you feel a connection with Forrest. Like the thoughts he speaks out of naivity, are the same thoughts which often come into any persons mind at some point or the other in their lifetime, the only difference is that he speaks them out while we choose to keep them inside ourselves. Forrest is a living example of the fact that life is so simple, it is we the people who make it more and more complicated. Forrest also ponders whether life is just all about fate, or is it a series of meaningless accidents... Or is it a bit of both?

There are also many other messages in the movie, like Forrest's mother says that we need to make our own destiny. Nothing comes planned. She also says, life is a box of chocolates, you never know what you might get! It is all so true... Many such messages are shown in umpteen number of movies, but this one just makes it real.

If we try to apply these simple things into our daily lives, it would be so much better. The movie has inspired me to be a better and a more non-judgmental person and expect less but give more to my life and the people important to me. Treasuring my near ones, helping the needy and making at least a little difference to the world in making it a better place. I am not standing on my feet right now, my hands are tied. But this is no excuse I know, and I promise myself that I will always keep life simple, I will love my loved ones and give my 100% to everything I do in life.

All in all, Forrest Gump, is definitely a must watch. And Forrest is very close to my heart. I wrote on this movie because whenever I think of Forrest, I just think of one word. Naive. And I find a weird connection with him and my life.

Do watch the movie!


1 comment:

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

hi SD... this was a very sweet take on the movie. i ve watched FG so many times that i can recite the dialogues from memory... its very much a part of my life and love.
thank you for visiting me and commenting. if you liked the blog please do become a follower so that you can read whenever i write something new, and give me feedback. i'll definately be following you :) your posts make really good reading...
and if you are a FG fan, Benjamin Button would certainly be worth a Dekko...